Famous People from the League

Since Its formation the League has had its Share of former Pro Footballers , Cricketers and Ice Hockey Players that played in the League before they were famous or at the end of their carreer, the following are some of those from the world of Football...

Ray Hankin Sherburn Village Wmc

Ray Hankin signed and Played for Sherburn Village Wmc, when John Ord was the Manager, Hankin Played in League Games and in a Alan Smith Memorial Cup Final for Sherburn at the Old Ferens Park A powerful and burly centre-forward, Hankin started his career at Burnley, where he scored 37 goals in 112 games and won three caps for the England U23 side. He moved to Leeds United in 1976 and after missing most of his first season through injury, he became top scorer in 1977/78 with 20 goals. He moved across the Atlantic to join the Vancouver Whitecaps of the NASL.In November 1981 he briefly moved back to England to join Arsenal for £400,000, with the fee dependent on Hankin's performances. After making just two League Cup appearances, Arsenal reversed their decision and let Hankin return to Vancouver.John Giles signed him in January 1982 for Shamrock Rovers for a short spell and he scored on his debut in Sligo on the 24th. He made a total of 5 appearances for the Hoops scoring twice.He briefly returned to Vancouver before finally returning to join Middlesbrough. He saw out his career at Peterborough United and Wolverhampton Wanderers. He also had a brief spell as Darlington manager in 1992.Hankin's career was blighted by his disciplinary record with a large number of red cards to his name which came to overshadow his goalscoring record.

Jeff Clarke Played for Houghton Chilton Lodge.

Clarke began his professional career in 1974 with Manchester City, featuring in thirteen league appearances before leaving a year later to join Sunderland in a swap deal with Dave Watson. In seven years at Roker Park, Clarke played in over 200 matches and experienced promotion to the top flight before moving to rivals Newcastle United on a free transfer in 1982. Another five years in the North East – including another top-flight promotion – preceded short-lived spells at Turkish side Ankaragücü and Darlington.Following his retiral from playing, Clarke coached at former club Newcastle, studying a physiotherapy degree at the University of Salford at the same time. Clarke became a physio at another former club, Sunderland, before taking on the same role at Leeds United in 2001. Following his redundancy in 2003, he joined Dundee United in November of that year, taking on additional coaching duties at one point in March 2005.

Richard Ord Played for Murton Village Inn

(born 3 March 1970 in Murton, County Durham, England) is a former English professional footballer best known for his time with Sunderland.
He joined Sunderland on leaving school in 1986, and played nearly 300 first team games for them until he left the club in 1998. During that time, he helped them win promotion to the top flight twice (1990 and 1996) and achieve runners-up spot in the FA Cup (1992).
Ord attended Easington Comprehensive School. He was a highly rated Centre back who could also operate on the left, his most notable achievement being in 1996 when he won the Division One championship with Sunderland.
In the summer of 1998, he signed for Queen's Park Rangers, but was injured in a pre-season friendly. A two-year injury nightmare prevented him from ever playing in a competitive game for QPR, and he finally announced his retirement as a player in 2000, aged only 30.Ord later had a short spell as manager of non-league Durham City, but this was not successful.

Craig Armstrong

Played for Newton Hall Jovial Monk , were his Father was the Manager , playing as a 15 Year Old in a Senior League before He went to Nottingham Forest. Armstrong started his career at Nottingham Forest in graduating from their youth system in 1992. Lack of first team action meant in December 1994 he moved on loan to Burnley, for whom he played four times.In January 1996, he joined Bristol Rovers on another loan deal, again making four appearances. However, he was recalled a month later to play a further nine matches at Twerton Park. In October 1996, Armstong was loaned to Gillinghamfor whom he played 13 matches as a defensive midfielder. In January 1997, he was loaned to Watford for a month, but his loan deal was cut short through injury. However, he was recalled for a further month in March 1997, with a view to a transfer. However, no move came to fruition.Armstrong left Forest in 1999 when Huddersfield Town agreed a £750,000 transfer. He played 112 matches at Huddersfield before moving to First Division club Sheffield Wednesday for £100,000. He played 29 times before moving on loan to Grimsby Town in a bid to regain match fitness after suffering an injury. When his contract expired at Sheffield Wednesday, Armstrong found himself without a club until a year later when he signed a short term contract at Bradford City, where he played only seven games.
In July 2005, he signed for Cheltenham Town, for whom he played 76 times, helping the club gain promotion against former club Grimsby. Although he arrived at the club as a midfielder, he made the majority of his appearances at left-back due to Jamie Victory's long-term injury problems. He also operated effectively in the centre of midfield on occasions and was comfortable at centre half.Armstrong's Cheltenham contract ran out at end of the 2006–07 season and in June 2007 he rejoined Gillingham on a two-year contract.He made his debut on the first day of the season against Cheltenham, but Gillingham lost 1–0. On 31 January 2008 he was released from his contract, and on 4 February 2008 he rejoined Cheltenham Town until the end of the season. In November 2008, Armstrong joined Burton Albion on loan until January 2009.

Kevan Smith Sherburn Village Wmc

Defender Smith, first appeared at Darlington on trial in a game against the club's professionals under then manager Len Walker before playing in the reserves against Barnsley. In the summer of 1979 Walker left Quakers but Smith was invited back by new then boss Billy Elliott. Smith impressed Elliott in the reserves and he was quickly snapped up.Smith made his debut at Torquay United in September 1979 as Qukaers lost 4-0. Team-mate Clive Nattress called him 'Smudger'. It was a nickname which stuck with im for the rest of his time at the club. Smith was a brave played and above all hard working and committed.It was however under Elliott's seccessor Cyril Knowles, who said he couldn't believe Smudger was a footballer, that Smith really came into his own and by his own ammission improved as a player. Knowles who joined 1Darlington the club in 1983, demanded nothing less than 100% from his players and Smith filled the mould perfectly. The 1984/85 season saw Darlington promoted from the Fourth Division but Smith left for Rotherham feeling the manager did not rate him highly enough.Smith later moved to Coventry City for £65,000 but broke his leg. Smith did not play top flight football whilst with the Sky Blues and was at the club when they won the FA Cup but found regular football hard to come by and he moved to York City. Things failed to work out for Smith at Bootham Crescent but by this stage both darlington and rivals Hartlepool United were interested in securing his services.Smith rejoined the club after speaking with then manager Brian Little. Quakers though were in the Conference having been releagted at the end of the 1988/89, season. In under a year Smith had dropped from the top of English football to the bootom although it was his second spell at the club with the club that Smith enjoyed the best years of his career.Darlington won promotion from the Conference at the first attempt the and the following season (1990/91) won promotion from the Fourth Division to the Third. Little left to join Leicester City and the bottom dropped out of Smith's world. The pair were very close and Little was begged to stay by the player. Little recommended Smith fpor the management job at the club but Smudger convinced Frank Gray to instead take the job. Rumours persisted about Smith taking over as Quakers struggled in a higher Division. Smith tried to quash the rumours but was dropped by Gray.Smith had felt he was too young for the job, but when Gray left the club in 1992 Smith applied for the job. Ray Hankin was given the position on a temporary measure. Smith hpoed to get the job and had an interview. Instead Quakers installed Billy McEwan on a permanent basis. The pair's relationship was rocky at best. In the summer of 1992 Smith needed a major operation. Smudger was told he would need ten weeks to recover but came back after nine. Upon coming back McEwan said he wanted a new centre back.Things remained difficult between the pair and later McEwan told Smith he was being let go on a free transfer. By this stage though Smith was close to a testomonial and refused to leave. The relationship between the pair got worse and Smith was left further isolated and had to train on his own. Towards the end of his time a the club Smith did regain his place in the team but it was a bad way for Smith to finish his Darlington career.The public and fanzine Mission Impossible backed the player. Smith returned to Quakers to work for Football in the Community (FITC) and went on to be assistant manager at Hull City with Little.

Craig Liddle Played for Framwellgate Moor Wmc

He was a centre half that played professional football for Darlington, Middlesbrough and Aston Villa.Liddle started his professional career at Aston Villa back in 1990 where he signed his first professional contract at the club where he had been a trainee. The Chester-le-Street-born star was released after just one season however after failing to impress. He joined local team Blyth Spartans where he spent the next three seasons.In 1994 he got a dream move to Middlesbrough when Bryan Robson signed him at the start of the Boro revolution, he went on to make 25 first teams appearances in his four years at the Riverside.He joined Darlington on loan in February 1998. In 16 games he made a big impression playing not only in defence but also as a midfielder. On the 1 July 1998, David Hodgson got 'Lidds' to put pen to paper and he joined Darlo for a nominal fee.During his time at the Quakers Liddle showed just what a true professional footballer should be like and was a popular club captain. Not the biggest or the quickest Liddle was absolutely committed commanding his defence excellently, reading the game well and tackling excellently. Rated by the fans as one of the best defenders in the Third Division, and attracting interest from other clubs. During some turbulent times in Darlington's history Liddle became a talisman for the club, showing commitment on and off the pitch that made him a fans favourite. Something demonstrated by him being voted Darlington's all-time cult hero by BBC Football Focus viewers with 70% of the vote.His last seasons at the club were sadly marked by injury, as his committed approach took its toll. His 300th appearance for Darlington on the 1 May 2004 was marked by a commemorative beer brewed by the Darwen Brewery - Liddle's Best, as well as specially printed T-shirts going on sale. On the announcement on his retirement in May 2005 Liddle was granted a testimonial against his former club Middlesbrough in July 2005, sadly due to a hoax bomb threat the game had to be abandoned at half time.Craig Liddle is currently working as a football coach at Darlington College.

Gustavo Di Lella Played and Manages Gilesgate Moor Hotel

Born In Buenos Aires,Argentina has played for Hartlepool fc , Bishop Auckland Played for Club Deportivo Móstoles a Spanish football team from Móstoles, a city in the southern metropolitan area of Madrid. The sport club was founded in 1955. They play in blue. The team plays home games in the El Soto, which seats about 14,000 spectators.The club has always played in the lower leagues, the Madrid regional leagues.He came to england and Played for Hartlepool,Bishop Auckland,Blyth Spartans, Journeymen footballers like Gustavo Di-Lella also played for Larne in the Irish League. "He arrived in England in 1997, not knowing a word of English," the Belfast Telegraph writes of Di-Lella "Settled alone in a six-bedroom farmhouse with the nearest supermarket a five-mile walk, Di-Lella had every reason to return to his family in South America. But, Che Guevara didn't turn back, so Di-Lella was never going to." Guevara himself liked the game and is often quoted: "It's not just a simple game, it is a weapon of the revolution."

John Kay former Sunderland Full Back Played for Burnmoor Cricket Club

The ultimate hard man of football and an excellent full back, John played 199 league games for Sunderland and never scored once and even missed a penalty!! No-nonsense player who earned cult status after a challenge on a Leeds Utd player. The Leeds physio said after the incident that his lad "looked like he'd been run down by a combine harvester" (cue loads of Wurzels renditions from th e terraces at Roker each time Kaysie got the ball or chased his man!)Johnny Kay, the Red and White Tractor. A totally wholehearted player, who got better as he got older. One of the most crazy tacklers I've ever seen. I remember in one of his early games for us, against Port Vale, he ended up with his shirt ripped to shreds and his side was gashed open with long, raking stud-marks. He just played on as if nothing had happened. John will also be fondly remembered for the time he broke his leg and was stretchered off. Did he writhe around like players today would? No, instead he sat upright and pretended he was rowing as the stretcher was carried off. The fans loved it. What a right back! Stretched off with broken leg and pretended to row the stretcher off the pitch! Right back, only little but hard as nails, savage tackler, not always clean tackles either. Wouldn't like to meet him in a dark alley.

Michael Mackay Played for Pelton ROAB

a Former Duirham Sunday Football League Player of the Season whilst playing for Pelton Roab.(born 11 October 1982 in Durham England) is a professional footballer playing for Hartlepool United after being snapped up from non-league Consett byDanny Wilson for his impressive goalscoring record.
He made the move to Durham City from Birtley where he found the net prolifically scoring 29 goals in his first season. He scored 30 goals before moving to Consett.
Mackay scored a remarkable 43 goals in the first half of the 2006/7 season which tempted Hartlepool to sign him in February 2007.
Michael scored his first league goal for Hartlepool United on Tuesday 2nd October against Carlisle United, and then scored another goal in the Johnstone Paint Trophy against Lincoln City on the Tuesday 9th October, just a week after scoring his first.

Kevin Ball Played for Lumley fc

aka 'The Hatchet' (born Hastings, England, United Kingdom on 12 November 1964) is a former professional footballer and now coach. Between 6 March and 8 May 2006 Ball acted as Sunderland caretaker manager for the last ten games of the 2005-06 season following the sacking of Mick McCarthy, taking five points from these games. Although Ball expressed his interest in the manager's job on a full-time basis, incoming chairman Niall Quinn was keen for the club to appoint a 'world-class manager' following the club's takeover by the Drumaville Consortium, effectively ruling Ball out of the running. While speculation linked him with subsequent managerial vacancies at Colchester and Darlington, Ball remained at Sunderland under the new regime, returning to his former post of Assistant Academy Manager.Ball began his career in central defence but was converted in his later career into a central midfielder. Ball is one of Sunderland's best-loved former players due to his committed style of play, playing 389 games for the club in all competitions, scoring 27 goals. He also had spells with Portsmouth and, after leaving Sunderland, Fulham and Burnley.Ball's time at Burnley is probably best remembered for a trademark tackle on David Dunn in a derby match against Blackburn that inflamed an already-volatile crowd.

Billy Askew Played for Lumley Fc

(born October 2, 1959 in Lumley, England) is an English footballer best known for his career with Hull City.
Askew began his career with Middlesbrough before joining Hull in 1982. A left-footed midfield dynamo, he was an integral part of the side's rise from the Fourth to Second Division in the 80s before leaving for Newcastle United in 1990. After a loan spell at Shrewsbury Town, he moved to Gateshead.
In 1994 he moved to Waterford United where he made 3 appearances.

Martin Gray Played for Sedgefield st Edmunds

(born 17 August 1971 in Stockton-on-Tees, England) is a former English football player and is currently assistant manager at Darlington Football Club. His main position was in midfield, but has played in all outfield positions during his career. He signed as a trainee to Sunderland in 1990 and stayed with them until 1996 when he made a £100,000 transfer to Oxford United. In 2001 Darlington agreed to end his playing contract so he could concentrate on being reserve and youth team coach on a full time basis. On Saturday 30 September 2006, David Hodgson was suspended by the club following a run of poor results and a possible approach from AFC Bournemouth, leaving Neil Maddison and Martin Gray in joint temporary caretaker charge for up to two weeks while an internal investigation was carried out. Hodgson was subsequently dismissed shortly after. Former Doncaster manager Dave Penney took over the manager's job with Martin Gray as his assistant. Neil Maddison took over his job as youth team coach but he continued his role as reserve team coach along with his assistant managerial role.

Mark Summerbell played for Framwellgate Moor Salutation

(born 30 October 1976 in Durham) is an English football midfielder. He has played for Middlesbrough, Cork City, Bristol City, Portsmouth, Carlisle United and Redmire United.

Steven John "Steve" Howard played for Lumley wmc

(born May 10, 1976 in Durham, England) is a Scottish footballer currently playing for League One side Leicester City.
He is a supporter of Newcastle United and has been known to celebrate with his right arm aloft in the same fashion as Newcastle idol Alan Shearer. He fulfilled a life long ambition of playing at St James' Park when he played in the Derby side which drew 2-2 at Newcastle on December 23, 2007.

Michael 'Mick' Heathcote Played for Bowburn Crowtrees

(born September 10, 1965 in Kelloe, England) was a central defender for many football clubs, including Sunderland and Plymouth Argyle.Heathcote started his career at Sunderland in August 1987, which was in the 'Old' Third Division, what is now League One. However, after only four months with the club he went on loan to Halifax Town for a month. In January 1990 he went on loan, again for a month, with York City. He remained at Sunderland for another five months until July 1990, when he signed for Shrewsbury Town for £55,000.He played 44 matches with Shrewsbury Town, scoring six goals - a respectable record for a central defender. Then, in September 1991 he signed for Division Two side Cambridge United for £150,000. He spent four full seasons there, scoring 13 goals in 128 league appearances. He was then signed by Plymouth Argyle in July 1995 for £75,000. He spent six years at the Westcountry club, scoring 13 goals in 194 league appearances. In 2001 he started a second spell at Shrewsbury Town.
But after leaving the side in 2004 he spent the remainder of his career in the lower leagues of English football. He played for Colwyn Bay, Leek Town and Hucknall Town, all in the Unibond League.

Bobby Kerr played for Hedgley Glass (now Chilton Lodge)

(born November 16, 1947 in Alexandria, Scotland) is a former football midfielder, who captained Sunderland A.F.C. to victory in the 1973 FA Cup final versus Leeds United.Kerr, nicknamed the 'Little General' due to his tough style of play and lack of height, made 413 starts and 14 substitute appearances between 1964 and 1979 for Sunderland, and is widely acknowledged as one of the clubs greatest ever servants.[1] After twice breaking his leg at the start of his Sunderland career, Kerr overcame the set backs to lead Sunderland to FA Cup glory - a feat which is seen as one of the greatest shocks in English football.[2] The game itself was voted as one of the top 10 greatest moments at Wembley Stadium.[3]Aside from the FA Cup, Kerr also lead Sunderland to promotion from the Football League Second Division in 1976. Between the 1970/71 and 1978/79 seasons, Kerr missed just 23 games, and never made less than 40 appearances in 5 consecutive seasons between 1971/72 and 1975/76.Kerr left Sunderland in March 1979 to link up with former manager Bob Stokoe at Blackpool, before ending his career back in the North East at Hartlepool. Since retiring, Kerr has run several pubs in the region, currently managing the Copt. Hill in nearby Houghton-le-Spring.

Colin Suggett played for Hedgley Glass (now Chilton Lodge)

(born 30 December 1948 in Chester-le-Street) is a former professional football player and manager.During the late 1960s he began his career playing for Sunderland, with whom he twice won the FA Youth Cup. He moved to West Brom in July 1969 for a club record fee of £100,000.[1] He then joined Norwich for a £70,000 fee in February 1973. He was voted Norwich City player of the year in 1975.He later worked as a youth coach at Sunderland's fierce rivals Newcastle United, coaching such players as Neil McDonald. Suggett also enjoyed a brief spell as caretaker manager at the club, following Willie McFaul's departure.He is currently working as chief scout at Carlisle United, where he has again joined up with their manager Neil McDonald. Prior to this he was also chief scout at Ipswich Town.

From the world of Cricket

Philip Mustard played for Belmont Sportsmans Arms

(born 8 October 1982 in Sunderland) is an English cricketer who plays for Durham and England. Mustard is a left handed batsman and wicketkeeper, with a style likened to that of Australia's Adam Gilchrist.[1] Following success for Durham with both gloves and bat, averaging 49.61,[1]) and after an injury to England's keeper Matt Prior during the 2007 Twenty20 World Championship, Mustard was called up to the England squad to face Sri Lanka in the winter ODI series.[1]

From the world of Ice Hockey three former Durham Wasps Players have played in the League

Ivor Bennet Has Played for New Durham wmc and Played and Managed Gilesgate Moor Hotel

The Iron man Of British Ice Hockey, Ivor Was A Wasp Through And Trough, Playing For Them From 1980 Until 1993, Then He Spent 1 Season At Dumfries Before Returning Home To Coach The Junior Teams And Made A Return The City Wasps In 1995. Ivor Was Part Of Every Successful Team Of The 1980's And 90's And Played Over 200 Games In A Row. He Scored Two Goals In The Heinken Championship Final Of 1990.He Is currently a Coach a Newcastle Vipers.Ivors Record British Premier Division Champion (84-85, 85-86, 88-89, 90-91 91-92 Durham Wasps)British Championship (87-88 Durham Wasps)1980-81 Durham Wasps ,1983-84 Durham Wasps,1984-85 DurhamWasps ,1985-86 Durham Wasps 1986-87,Durham Wasps 1987-88,Durham Wasps,1988-89,Durham Wasps,1989-90,Team Great Britain
1989-90 Durham Wasps,1990-91 Durham Wasps,1991-92 Durham Wasps,1992-93 Durham Wasps,1993-94 Dumfries Vikings British Premier Division Champion (84-85, 85-86, 88-89, 90-91 91-92 Durham Wasps)British Championship (87-88 Durham Wasps

Anthony ‘Tant ‘Johnson Middle brother of Three Brothers Anthony played for Sacriston Wmc

, "Tant" gave his all in the no.12 shirt for all the Clubs he played for , combining hard graft and commitment with the skill and vision that complemented his brothers so well. Like the others he remains one of the countries finest Ice Hockey Players Anthony Johnson,Right Wing,Born Jan 4 1969 -- Durham, England 1983-84 Durham Wasps,1984-85 Durham Wasps,1985-86 Durham Wasps,1985-86 Team Great Britain ,1986-87 Team Great Britain, 1986-87 Durham Wasps ,1987-88 Durham Wasps,1988-89 Durham Wasps,1989-90 Team Great Britain ,1989-90 Durham Wasps,1990-91 Humberside Seahawks,1991-92 Team Great Britain ,1991-92 Humberside Seahawks,1992-93 Team Great Britain ,1992-93 Humberside Seahawks,1993-94 Humberside Hawks,1994-95 Humberside Hawks,1995-96 Durham Wasps,1996-97 Newcastle Cobras ,1996-97 Swindon Icelords,1997-98 Newcastle Cobras,1998-99 Newcastle Riverkings,1999-00 Newcastle Riverkings,1999-00 Hull Thunder,2000-01 Hull Thunder,2001-02 Hull Thunder,2002-03 Newcastle Vipers British Division 1 Section B Champion (82-83 Durham Wasps)Young Player of the Month (Oct 85)Gold Medal Winner EJC (1986)Premier Division Champion (84-85, 85-86, 88-89 Durham Wasps)Premier League Playoff Champion (87-88 Durham Wasps)British Div 1 Champion (90-91 Humberside Seahawks)

Micheal Tasker Played in the League

Premier League Champion (90-91 Durham Wasps, 91-92 Durham Wasps,Elite League Playoff Champion (05-06 Newcastle Vipers) Playing Ice Hockey for
Durham Wasps, Team Great Britain, Durham Wasps, Durham Wasps, Durham Wasps, Durham Wasps, Kingston Hawks, Kingston Hawks, Kingston Hawks, Newcastle, Newcastle, Solihull Blaze, Coventry Blaze, Team Great Britain, Coventry Blaze, Team Great Britain, Coventry Blaze, Coventry Blaze, Coventry Blaze, Coventry Blaze, Newcastle Vipers, Newcastle Vipers, Newcastle Vipers, Newcastle Vipers, Newcastle Vipers, Newcastle Vipers, Newcastle Vipers, Co ventry Blaze, Coventry Blaze, Coventry Blaze.

They Refereed In the League

Alan Wilkie

Alan is the senior (in years) of the Regional Managers team.
He became a referee in 1977 and quickly progressed through the levels to become a National List assistant in 1984 and a Panel Referee in 1985. Following an interview, Alan received promotion to the list of Football League referees. The final promotion came when in December 1992 he became a Premier League referee, remaining so until his retirement in May 2000. There were many highlights in Alan’s career but briefly the European Cup Semi-Final in 1991 as well as officiating at Wembley Stadium on four occasions.
Alan worked for British Telecom for 34 years as an Electrical Engineer, latterly working on the production of Health & Safety Certificates for BT premises throughout the North East. Alan was appointed to the position of Regional Referee Manager for the North East in September 2001 and since then has seen his region expand from four counties to the current six.

Referee Russell Tiffin Former Championship Linesman

Finally news of a notable landmark. Referee Russell Tiffin reaches a remarkable milestone on Monday 14 March when he referees his 400th Northern League game. He takes charge of the match at Newcastle Blue Star, which by coincidence, is where his refereeing career began when he officiated in a 7-0 win over Darlington Reserves.
Before the match, which is against Willington, there will be a presentation to Russell by the President of the Northern League, George Courtne,y who blew a mean whistle himself in his time. The final word has to go to officialdom; because Russell Tiffin is a Northern League FIRST division referee, permission had to be sought from the FA for him to referee this game in the second division to give his career symmetry. Notwithstanding, many congratulations on reaching a milestone which seems highly unlikely to be surpassed.

George Courtney

(born 4 June 1941) is an English former footba ll referee based in Spennymoor, County Durham.he is said to be a freemason.[2] His vocational career was spent as a primary school headteacher.George started refereeing in 1961, he firstly started refereeing school games in and around his area of Spennymoor. He later carried out both linesman and refereeing duties for the Northern League[3] before becoming a Football League linesman in 1971. Just two years later he was appointed to the supplementary panel of referees and one year after that was included in the full list of referees at the age of only thirty three. In 1976, despite only being in his second year as a Football League referee, he was appointed to the decisive match for the League title in which Liverpool staged a dramatic recovery to beat Wolves and overtake QPR.In 1977 he made the FIFA panel of referees. He had achieved this feat in only three seasons which was, until the case of Martin Atkinson in 2006, the quickest in modern times. In 1979 he took charge of the Charity Shield and was back at Wembley the following May for the ultimate honour of the FA Cup Final between West Ham and Arsenal.Pat Partridge's retirement in 1981 followed by the unexpected early departure of another World Cup referee, Clive White the following year led to Courtney becoming the dominant refereeing figure of the 1980s. He took charge of the 1983 League Cup Final, thus completing the hat trick of major Wembley matches. He went on to referee numerous FA Cup semi-finals as well as many top division games. He was due to retire in 1989 but in common with a number of other senior and respected officials at that time was granted an extension. He went on to serve three extra years on the list.Courtney was a frequent figure in UEFA competitions and handled finals such as the 1989 Cup Winners Cup Final. He was England's representative at the 1984 European Championships, followed by the FIFA World Cups of 1986 and 1990. His appointment for the third place play-off in 1986 is the furthest any English referee has reached at the World Cup since Jack Taylor controlled the Final in 1974. The only competition he missed was the 1988 European Championships when Keith Hackett was selected.Courtney retired from the FIFA list at the end of 1991 at the age of fifty. He was one of the last referees to have that privilege, as they reduced the maximum age for their officials to forty five at that point. He served out the rest of that season in England. He took charge of an unprecedented second League Cup Final in 1992. The final match of his eventful career was the play-off game between Blackburn and Leicester for a place in the new Premier League. Although extensions were still possible for over-age referees he had decided to retire from League refereeing, a few weeks short of his fifty-first birthday.Courtney is a past student of Chester University College.[4] He later became Director of Community Projects at Middlesbrough F.C.[5] He is now a UEFA delegate, charged with reporting on stadium and crowd control issues at UEFA matches, such as during the 1-0 UEFA Champions League win by F.C. Shakhtar Donetsk at S.L. Benfica on 3 October 2007.

Patrick "Pat" Partridge

Pat Partridge prepares to start the all-London 1975 final between Fulham and West Ham
(born June 30, 1933) is a retired English football referee, and former President of the Association of Football League Referees and Linesmen.[1] His occupation outside football was as a farmer.[2] He originates from Billingham, Stockton-on-Tees, and took the name of his father, Patrick Partridge, MBE.He first became a referee in 1953, with the Durham County FA. During his period of compulsory National Service (1954-1956), he registered as an Army referee; during a military posting to Hong Kong, he was allowed to officiate in that country's Third and Fourth Divisions. Partridge returned to England and, for a short time from 1957, was appointed to referee games in the now-defunct North Eastern League. Following its disbandment in 1958, he moved to the Northern League to develop his career further. He was accepted as a Football League linesman for the 1965-66 season, and progressed to become a Football League referee in the following year.In his 1979 co-authored biography with John Gibson, he recalled his first ever top-class Football League match as man-in-the-middle, when he awarded three penalty kicks in the game between Manchester City and Leicester City at Maine Road in March 1967, which Leicester won 3-1. He admits he failed to caution the then Leicester goalkeeper Gordon Banks for kicking the ball away from the penalty spot at one of the kicks.He also recounts a chain of events which led to a major change in the International Laws of Association Football. On May 13, 1967, Stoke City visited Old Trafford to play Manchester United, just after United had been confirmed as the old Division One champions. Paddy Crerand of United had an altercation with Peter Dobing of Stoke, which was dealt with by Partridge holding Crerand close, such that his head was over the referee's shoulder.Unknown to the official, TV cameras picked up Crerand's action of spitting over his shoulder at Tony Allen, another Stoke player. Crerand and Dobing were cautioned for their confrontation, but Partridge had not seen the incident which many others had seen. Partridge later received a letter from Alan Hardaker, the then secretary of the Football League, asking for his observations on the incident, in response to many complaints received by the Football Association at Lancaster Gate. He was unable to respond with conclusive evidence, but nevertheless the International Board changed the Laws of the Game to put spitting on a par with violent conduct, and therefore a dismissable offence.He was promoted to the FIFA list of referees in 1971, taking the place of the retiring Kevin Howley.

Colin Webster

Colin Started Refereeing in 1998 and Progressed through Local Football Into the wearside League, Northern League, before being appointed to the National list of assistant Referees in 1994 and the Referees List in 2000

Nigel Miller

Nigel started Refereeing in 1989 and was promoted to the Referees List in 2003

Referee J Ward (Ferryhill) Football league linesman

Referee R Pearson (Horden) Football League Linesman

Referee J McAloon (Durham) Football League Linesman

Referee J Sinclair (Durham) Football League Referee